St Laurence C.E. Primary School Council
Why do we have a School Council?
The School Council is an ideal opportunity for pupils to get more involved in the way the school is run. The School Council benefits the whole school, pupils and teachers. It provides opportunities for pupils to communicate their feelings as well as discuss decisions that are made. Councillors develop skills such as confidence, communication and negotiation. It is the responsibility of each Councillor to ensure that they express both their own views and the views of all the other pupils they represent.
Who can be a member of the School Council?
We have an active School Council with two children representing their fellow pupils from Year 2 to Year 6. Each councillor is elected by their classmates at the beginning of the school year after a short presentation explaining why they should be elected.
What do we do?
Members of the Council take part in discussions and votes and feedback any relevant information to their class. At times they are requested to ask their class for ideas or take class votes relating to discussions by the Council. Members meet regularly with Mrs Mintoft.
Terms of Reference
The Terms of Reference for School Council Meetings have been agreed as follows:
- Two pupils from each class from Year 2 to Year 6 will form the St Laurence’s School Council
- Meetings will be held twice each half term.
- Ground rules will be established for meetings.
- School Councillors must report back to their classes after each meeting.
- School Councillors must wear their badges and smart school uniform.
- School Councillors must always demonstrate exemplary behaviour.
- Consultation must take place between Councillors and their classes before decisions are made.
Our School Council will be successful if:
- We have regular meetings.
- We have good communication.
- We have discussions that focus on action.
- We all work together.
School Council Representatives 2022-23
Y2 – Oliver, Maggie
Y3 – Henry, Isla
Y4 - Olivia, Martin
Y5 – Edward, Kate
Y6 – Lewis, Rose